What is Your Main Programming Language?

This is the second in a series of polls to help ensure I continue to write articles that are relevant to your interests.

Please click here to answer the question for today: What is your main programming language?

The Newsletter for Self-Funded Startups. It'll Change Your Life.

#1 http:// on 11.08.06 at 1:44 pm

Just thought I’d say that although I voted .NET because thats what I use at work, I’m also very interested in Java and PHP so please add one to each of those!

#2 http:// on 11.08.06 at 2:42 pm

no python choice? Boo – I have to use other

#3 keith on 11.08.06 at 3:02 pm

“main” is kinda vague IMO. “PL i work the most with” or “PL i would choose to use given the option”

#4 jbrahy on 11.08.06 at 4:41 pm

Perl is definitely my favorite language, but I have been enjoying more and more c# lately. If the question is about which language I have to use most often for work related then it’s becoming more and more c#.

#5 admin on 11.08.06 at 6:56 pm

“Main” is definitely vague, and I did that on purpose. I wanted to leave it up to the developer to decide what “main” means for them.

#6 Chris Mullins on 11.08.06 at 7:24 pm

I’m almost exclusivly a C# developer these days. I take brief sojurns back into the past for C & C++ (typically with Mixed Mode C++). We’ve abandonded VB.Net as a language, due to lack of tool support. Mono has great C# support, but very little VB. Likesise, the C# feature set seems to be consistantly a bit ahead of C#. Java is an option from time to time, but with the Cross Platofrm capabilities of .Net via Mono, we relly don’t need Java.

#7 Mark Freedman on 11.13.06 at 9:47 pm

.NET is NOT a programming language. It is a platform, if anything. Perhaps you should have added C# and VB.NET to your list. I selected .NET because I had no other choice.

#8 Alberto Milone on 11.13.06 at 11:47 pm

definitely Python

#9 Rob Walling on 11.14.06 at 3:53 am

Mark – You are correct about .NET not being a programming language! This was actually a silly game of mine to see who would point this out first. Since you are the winner I’m going to send you a free 1-year subscription to Fast Company. I’ll contact you via your website. Rob

#10 Mark Freedman on 11.14.06 at 6:54 am

Hehehe…so you were testing us. I should have realized. Thanks for the offer, but you don’t have to do that. Great magazine, though. I’m just flooded with reading material right now.

#11 http:// on 01.03.07 at 1:59 pm

Visual FoxPro. Read it and weep suckers! Actually, for the past month VB 2005 but before that it was the luxurious world of VFP.